Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Pintrest and Movie Night - Bloomin' Gooey Cheese Bread

I am so happy I had my first Pintrest night with a friend.  It was so much fun, and a great bonding experience.  Then again, I always enjoy cooking with friends.  We made a special board on Pintrest for our movie night and each added a few things to it.  We ended up choosing and cooking four things from our board (well we chose five, but four out of five is still pretty awesome).  My friend also has this awesome huge kitchen that has so much work space!  It was a nice change from my cluttered little kitchen.  

For the movie snacks we decided to go with a savory item, a sweet item, and two drinks.  I am going to separate the recipes into multiple posts so they are easier for you to find later and read if you want to try them out.  I don't have my normal detailed pictures of the process, because I completely forgot to take any.  I know, I know, what kind of blogger am I?  Hopefully you will forgive me.  Luckily my friend came to the rescue and is allowing me to use her photos of the end results.  

Our savory item was Bloomin' Gooey Cheese Bread.  
We couldn't actually find a recipe on this one, just a picture.  It looked simple enough though, and we are both good cooks so we made it work.

We scored our loaf bread (we couldn't find "regular" white loaf bread, so we went with a garlic one) almost all the way through, cut the block of cheese and onions, and started inserting slices of cheese.  This part was actually harder than it seems.  We found out rather quickly that it gets hard to put cheese slices in about a third of the way through the process.  My boyfriend saw this as a challenge though and was able to put in all the slices, well, at least the ones that he didn't sneak away from us and eat while we were prepping.  

Then we melted the butter with about a teaspoon of pepper and the cut green onions mixed in.  This mixture looked liked we were making a different kind of butter for a different kind of snack.  The kind that stoners make out of weeds, if you know what I mean.  We poured this mixture over the bread and then preheated the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (about 175 Celsius to my international readers).  We baked it for about fifteen minutes and pulled it out, fingers crossed.

Tada! So it doesn't look as pretty as the pin picture, things rarely do.  It was still really good and really cheesy.  It was easy to pull apart and eat and everyone seemed to like it.  My boyfriend went straight up crazy over it.  Between three of us we almost had it gone after one movie.  It is also rather inexpensive to make, so I suggest to try it.  The garlic bread was a good call, it added another great flavor to the food.  It is hard to go wrong with garlic.  It makes a good appetizer or finger food.

Here is the recipe we came up with:

Ingredients:
1 unsliced loaf of bread (I really suggest you try a bread with garlic baked in, it was a good idea)
16 oz monterey jack cheese (or cheese of your choosing, so long as it melts well) 
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/3 cup (about) chopped green onion
1 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
2. Score bread almost all the way through until, you want the top of each "pull" to look like a one inch square and place on a baking sheet (make sure it is a ridged one so butter doesn't spill)
3. Cut the cheese into thin slices and then cut the slices in half
4. Have fun stuffing those bad boy slices into the bread.  Don't give up, I believe in you!
5. Place the butter and and pepper into a bowl or mug and microwave until melted
6. Mix chopped green onions into the butter mix
7. Pour butter mix even over the top of the bread.  Try to do it slowly so more soaks in
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted
9. Enjoy them, they will go fast





No comments:

Post a Comment