Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Honey Glazed Chicken

On my days off of work I always get super excited because I actually have time to cook.  Don't get me wrong, I love sandwiches and soup (and even the taquitos I get peer pressured into eating at work all the time), but nothing beats a home cooked meal. When I woke up I took some chicken out of the freezer to enjoy that night, with absolutely no plan on how I wanted to cook it.  Then I got a craving for something smothered in honey, and this was born.

The ingredients are pretty simple: chicken, honey, a fresh lemon, salt, and pepper.  I heated up the honey, to make it easier to work with.  Then I mixed in the juice and zest from half a lemon, added a pinch of salt and pepper, and poured half of it over the chicken and popped it in the oven.


It made the whole house smell wonderful, and came out looking pretty nice as well.  I am a bad judge on how long to cook meat (I was a vegetarian for years), so I always have to cut one or five to make sure they are done.  After I pulled them out I poured the rest of the honey glaze on them, for that extra flavor without that extra burnt honey on the bottom of the dish.


They tasted pretty good too.  They had a nice light flavor.  I served them with some mashed sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli.  Not bad for not having a dinner plan at all.  Next time I am going to add some red pepper flakes, to give it a little kick.



Here is the recipe for the chicken.

Ingredients:
1 lb chicken tenders
1/2 cup honey
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
Salt and pepper to taste
(optional red pepper flakes)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Lay chicken out on a greased pan
3. Heat honey in a microwave safe dish for 30 seconds
4. Zest half a lemon into the honey and squeeze in the juice
5. Add spices to taste and stir
6. Pour half of the honey mixture over the chicken and place into the oven
7. Cook for about twenty minutes, or until the chicken is done
8. Pour the rest of the honey mixture over the chicken
9. Enjoy with the sides of your choice


No comments:

Post a Comment