Saturday, August 31, 2013

Fall Egg Melt

I am addicted to sandwiches.  I usually cannot go a day without eating a sandwich.  No, I don't want to go to meetings to cure my problem.  A world without sandwiches is a world I don't want to live in.  If you think you don't like sandwiches, think again.  Sandwiches are not all sad excuses of lunch meat with processed cheese product on them.  Get creative with it.

Fall is approaching quickly.  We already started getting pumpkin shaped candy in my store.  I am super excited, because when fall comes around I put pumpkin in everything I eat (everyone who lives with me hates this time of year after a week).  It is not quite time for that yet.  Still, when I got home from work yesterday, I wanted a taste of fall.  Thus, the fall egg melt was born.

It isn't hard to make, and most of the ingredients should be on hand.

Start off by sauteing about half of a small yellow onion.

Fun fact: this is my special sandwich pan.  Only sandwiches and sandwich ingredients allowed!
Sandwiches = serious business
 You just have to get them translucent.  You can cook them a bit longer if that is what you prefer.  Caramelized onions would be awesome for this, but alas, I was hungry and didn't have time for that.

While the onions are doing their thing, put a few pinches of dried cranberries on a piece of your favorite whole grain bread.  Don't like whole grain bread?  Whats wrong with you? You can use pumpernickel instead, just add a few more cranberries.


They taste great and are great for you, what's not to love?

It may sound odd to some people, but trust me on this.  The slight hint of sweet in the savory is awesome.  Get out of your comfort zone a little.  

Once the onions are finished, add them on top and cook up an egg white.


Then go ahead and put the egg white on and add a little shredded mozzarella.


Add another slice of bread to the top and put the whole sandwich back on the stove.  You want to finish it off like it is a grilled cheese.  If you normally burn your bread before your cheese is melted, try turning down the heat.  The key is a lower heat for a longer time. Here is the finished product:



This sandwich was so good, I almost didn't breathe while I was eating it.  It is a nice healthy way to bring in the fall.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 slices of your favorite whole grain or pumpernickel bread (I used Arnold's Healthynut with flax)
1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 egg white
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
nonstick cooking spray

Directions:
1. Spray a small pan with nonstick cooking spray and let it heat up
2. Saute onions until translucent
3. Put dried cranberries on a slice of bread
4.Pick at some dried cranberries while you are cooking
4. Add onions to the slice of bread
5. Cook egg white in same pan as onions
6. Add egg white and cheese to the bread
7. Close sandwich and put it into the pan
8. Cook as you would a grilled cheese sandwich
9. Enjoy!




1 comment: